Nearly anybody can make a basic pizza, but to make the best authentic Italian cuisine and pizza Napolitana that reflects decades of Italian food prowess, only the best pizzerias can make the cut. Your best chance to experience this Italian classic in its natural form is at Pizzeria Via Mercanti. But why does this family-owned restaurant in particular qualify as Toronto’s provider of the best authentic Italian cuisine?
1. We’re Experienced
Our Chef Romolo hasn’t been slacking on his pizza-making knowledge. With over 30 years of experience as a Pizzaiolo and over 4 decades of restaurant ownership in general, the “Grand Master” of the Margherita Pizza has dedicated his career to preserving the rich tradition of the best authentic Italian cuisine.
He started the first location of Pizzeria Via Mercanti in Toronto’s iconic Kensington Market in 2012. Its popularity spawned multiple new locations since then, including the Elm Street opening in 2013 with over 160 seats that were filled throughout the day. Soon after, two other locations opened as well with demand as high as ever. The most recently opened Gerrard location is offering an exclusive 20% off Pizza, pasta and dessert for the month of March! Click here for more details.
2. We’re Recognized
There’s a reason why Pizzeria Via Mercanti is often cited as the perfect place for the best authentic Italian cuisine in the cities in which it operates. Some of our awards include:
- Being voted the #1 Pizza in Ontario award by ICCO Pentola D’Oro in 2018
- Making Joanne Kates’ Top 100 Restaurants List for several years in a row
- Listed by Now Magazine as Toronto’s Top Pizza in 2016
- Featured in Food Network’s “You Gotta Eat Here!” in early 2015
- Won Best in Chow’s hit television program “Pizza Wars”
- Featured on CP24 on National Pizza Dai in February 2019
But don’t just take their word for it. Our customers have consistently praised our dedication to quality ingredients; one of our reviewers mentioned Pizzeria Via Mercanti as “one of my all-time favourite places to dine at.” Others have said, “each time I dine there, [it] makes me crave to go back. NO JOKE!!!” Plus, our Ciambella Ripiena has been lauded as “full of flavour” and “perfect.”
3. We’re Passionate
That’s a lot of accomplishments for what started as a small, family-owned restaurant. Our focus on good food and quality ingredients is reflected in our passion for the art of the best authentic Italian cuisine.
Ever since we began, we even expanded into other aspects of Italian food, including pastas, paninos, and desserts known widely throughout the city. However, that doesn’t mean we’ve shifted our focus away from classic Neopolitan-style pizza.
In fact, our pizzas have been featured on TV’s CP24 Breakfast for National Pizza Day where Romolo made his famous Via Mercanti Pizza.
Pizzeria Via Mercanti – Toronto, Ontario, and the GTA
Interested in experiencing the best authentic Italian cuisine in Toronto, Ontario? We have 4 locations throughout Toronto and the GTA that specialize in Napoletana Pizza and many other specialty authentic Italian cuisine dishes.
Take advantage of our special promotion running through March 2019. Exclusively at our newest opening at the Gerrard location we are offering 20% off all pizzas, pastas, and desserts with a downloadable coupon.
- No regular restaurant can make the best authentic Italian cuisine. Craving for classic Italian? Then Pizzeria Via Mercanti is the end of your search. We’re a small, family business that has focused immensely on quality, simple recipes.
- Our pizza and pasta expertise has earned us the attention of several awards and television shows, including #1 Pizza in Ontario by ICCO and a feature from Food Network in 2015.
- Check out our menus and book a table with us today. Space, as you can imagine, fill up quickly. We also offer catering services.